Saturday, September 25, 2010

Cinna-not-bon

Here we are once again: Fall has finally arrived. Please let your coolness relieve us of a suffocating summer, but don't yield to Old Man Winter too soon. Amen.

This - by the way - is one of the only concessions I will make to weather comments. I just don't get it. Why do people feel the perpetual need to talk, worse, COMPLAIN about the alteration of atmospheric conditions (fancy, huh?)?!?Dudes, seriously, nothing is going to change because of your rants. We are already trying hard enough with all the crap we produce. So do us all a favor, just accept the sky as it is and just shut up already. Or hook up with The Weather Channel guys, Tom Skilling, Ginger Zee and Amy Freeze (sic).
Leave. Us. Alone.

Fall.....there is much to say and write about it. But to make it quick, let's just say that this morning was just the pure illustration of what it can be at its best.
Like - Norman Rockwell picture perfect. If there was such a thing. (Since there is not, we'll have to do with this on the right and not complain about it. The fact that we are not really going to talk about pumpkins is totally irrelevant here.)


Blue sky. A flock of geese. Fresh breeze. Football practice in the park. Hats on toddlers (which I call champignons, or mushrooms, for that very reason...big hat on small bodies? Yeah? Got it?).
AppleFest in Lincoln Square.
I mean, does it scream Fall or what?!?!?
It was crowded; I don't know if people have an insatiable appetite for the forbidden fruit but they surely act like it. My assumption: they are starving for all the goodies that go with it: apple butter, pies, tarts, turnovers...ya know...the good stuff (my theory is that biting repeatedly in the actual fruit, chewing its flesh, swallowing while trying not to smear juice all over the place is way too much work. Much easier to gulp down a slice of pie, right?). And of course brats, sauerkraut and potato salad because OktoberFest is around the corner, we are in Lincoln Square and let's keep priorities straight: we all need a side of protein with our fruit.
So - prepared food everywhere, and here and there, some fresh apples for the bravest souls.

I have to admit that I don't care very much for apples but I do love a good tart (and you know it). Yup, a t-a-r-t and not a p-i-e which doesn't belong to my childhood pantheon of all good things, thankyouverymuch.
Remember Miss American Pie? Guess what the key word is?
But when in Rome....so I learned to eat pie. Sure. Why not. Not bad. But one of the things that really bugs me about them is cinnamon. More often than not a slice of apple pie tastes just like cinnamon. Which I like. As a spice. In small dosage.
But not as a main ingredient.

So I am asking you here and now: what's up with America and its obsession over cinnamon?!?
Seriously?

Finding it in apple pastries is one thing; they are, after all, complimentary flavors. Even MY grandmother was using it, and hers before that. But when every single piece of cake, muffin, or scone tastes like cinnamon - not to mention coffee, buns, cereal, bread, gum, candles, and toothpaste* - I say STOP.
Really guys.
Hold on a minute.

I understand; it tastes good, has a sweet, woody fragrance and these sticks look pretty cool in a jar. Of course you want to benefit from its antioxidant proprieties and make it lower your blood pressure. I get that. Is it really 'romance enhancing' though? Naughty you....you wouldn't get very far with me using your "Cinnamon Flavor Breath Spray", I can already tell you as much. Even if it's seen on TV.

You should really let it be. Chill out. Take a minute, and remember - in silence - that merchants, traders and your great-great-great-great grandpa died - no less! - far away from home, on the Spice Road to bring you back a whole bunch of other spices. Choice. Ginger, saffron, five-spice, cardamom, nutmeg, cumin, pepper, paprika.....
Check them out.
They are in little jars as well.

And please, don't make toothpicks or floss out of them.


*I haven't checked (just 'cause) but I am pretty sure there are some cinnamon-flavored condoms out there......right?

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This is funny. Most cinnamon available is actually cassia, and not true cinnamon. I took this class in college called "plant people interactions"... I am such a dork. I like to put cinnamon on chicken and grill it. It helps you control blood sugar. But yeah, cinnamon use in sweet applications is a little boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Plant people interactions"......cool!!!
    I know why I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Please, don't be scared!! Leave a comment...even if it's just to say 'Good job!!' or 'That posting sucks!'