Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Restaurant Review: Cevapcici Chicago (no fixed location)

So....I thought about it long and hard and decided to include in here some of my favorite reviews written for Yelp (that you can follow 'live' here; I used a pseudo).
Why?!?!?

1. Because it's already done, and it makes the whole thing so much easier, doesn't it?!? (I am French after all and allegedly, partisane du moindre effort. The less I do, the better I feel. Have a look at the work regulations if you want to be enlighten, as well as incredibly envious).

2. Because this whole thing is supposed to be about food (and drinks, obviously. One cannot go without the other, or so I learned in the last few years). As a food lover I go out to eat a lot. Too much. Cannot stop. I also write about it (to prolong the pleasure?!?!? who knows?). Sometimes take pictures of it. Oh boy. I AM obsessed.

3. Because people seem to like them: they got FUCed at lot. Vulgar? no way. Sibylline? a bit....in everyday language it means that these reviews were found Funny, Useful and Cool. FUC. And so I don't want to argue. I aim at being a crowd pleaser, and I go with the flow.

The last 'successful' one: "Cevapcici Chicago"
(FYI, ćevapčići are is a Balkan (here, Croatian) dish of grilled minced meat. It's made out of pork, beef and lamb, spices and other aromatics. It has the size and appearance of a sausage (without casing) and is usually served in a flat bread called lepinja, with chopped onions, sour cream and ajvar, a red pepper and eggplant relish. Heaven on a piece of bread...)
Here it is (with photo illustration, lucky you) :



"My husband, Mister Amélie L., has a couple of talents.
Arguably - that's why I married him, right? It's at least what every woman on the verge of walking down the aisle should think about: "What does he do well?!?!"

If it takes her more than 30 seconds to come up with something, my advice is to run away.

Mister L. is a good kisser.
He explains arcane banking secrets like no one else.
He knows how to grow a beard in 2 days tops.
He builds ponds in your garden like a pro.
He makes plants grow when I kill them.
He can tell a story in excruciating details, and make it last 2 hours if he wants to.
And above all - he can cook.

One of his specialties: lamb keftas.
So, so, so good. Our friends keep asking for the recipe, and it quickly became his signature dish - the one he rocks every summer on the charcoals all around the city (and beyond).

But our friend Phil has something on him.
Pork.
Do I need to say more?

The cevapcici are so delicious that - opportunity been given - I might trade men and meats and go with the cevap' instead of the kefta.

This is just ridiculous.

Such goodness shouldn't exist and be allowed to roam free on the city fests. This is serious business. Divorce inducing?

Croatia surely wins the sausage battle in my books.
But my Mister L. doesn't lose the war. Still love him bunch, as well as his grilling talents".


4 comments:

  1. excuse me if i may reiterate a little. cevaps are not only croatian , they are also serbian and bosnian and albanian. all of the balkan countries eat them . you can thank the turks for that one, what do you expect when you have 500 years of turkish occupation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some other facts about chevapcici are that they are typically best when they are a mix of pork and beef; however, these days they are mostly all beef. You can add lamb, but that's a bit rarer.

    Some people add baking soda as a filler and these are impostors. They look nice and big, but when you cook them they shrivel up and pucker. The outside gets chewy and it is horrible.

    Lepinja is not a flat bread. The bread Chevapcici Chicago uses is not traditional. He is using flat bread, pita bread. Lepinja is circular. It is soft, but slightly crispy on the outside and amazingly fluffy and hot on the inside. The problem is that it can be expensive compared to pita bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Ericka on all of the above, and although I just ate lunch, this post totally put me in the mood for cevapcice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback guys!!

    I know that cevapcici are eaten all around the Balkan, and in some variations, almost all around the Mediterranean. I was just pointing out that this particular business was owned by a Croatian, Phil (Filip), hence the "here, Croatian".

    : )

    ReplyDelete

Please, don't be scared!! Leave a comment...even if it's just to say 'Good job!!' or 'That posting sucks!'