Monday, April 12, 2010

Thou Shall Not Lie


Make it the 11th commandment.
I actually cannot believe that Moses missed that one. I mean - what was he thinking about up in that mountain?!?!? That should be top priority, especially these days....maybe someone should just volunteer, rewrite and actualize the list, you know, like they did for the 7 Wonders of the World. Exit Maussoleum, Lighthouse and Hanging Gardens - hello Machu Picchu, Taj Mahal and Great Wall.
Note that the Colloseum has replaced the Collosus.
Sometimes everything remains (almost) the same.

(No comment on the absence of France in both lists. The fact that the country was populated by bearded barbarians eating boar and climbing up trees to collect mistletoe is totally irrelevant for the first one, and as for the second, 'modern' one...well...as I said: no comment. Thanks.)

So yeah - the humanity actually felt the urge to redefine a top-list of architectural wonders, spent years thinking about it, set up a huge contest, even chose a highly symbolic date to reveal the lucky winners - 7/7/07 which was also, by the way, the wedding day of Eva Longoria and Tony Parker, and that says a lot (don't ask me how I know this, I wouldn't answer even under torture). That's all nice and well, noble and absolutely pointless.
Way to go.

So what about reconsidering the ten principles according to which we are all (?!?) supposed to live our lives?!?!? What do you mean nobody cares anyway? Well I don't either! It's just a matter of precision. And we need to keep things straight, God dammit.
Because, seriously, nowadays who:
- make for oneself an idol? (ok...may-be. American, dancing or otherwise, they are still around. Hollywood, thou wretched city abandoned of God, new Babylon - I am looking at you and my wrath will be terrible)
- keep the Sabbath holy?
- knows the difference between committing adultery (#7) and coveting one's neighbor's wife? Ah-ah, I tricked you with that one, didn't I?!?!?

I would personally vouch for a few updates along the lines of "You will not clandestinely install a freaking virus on my computer", "You will not make me believe in BS miracle diets", "You will not force me to watch any reality TV on Bravo" and "You will not earn millions just by showing your bootilicious in the media".

But the lying thing should be at the top of the list.
Because whoever you are, wherever you live, whatever you do - you are exposed to lie.
I mean - I am.
And also - I do.
Lie.
I guess that at this point, I would be supposed to give examples. Personal and shameful, to illustrate my point and make this posting worth reading. Learning by edification and shit. The only problem is - I am not a good Christian and I don't see my blog as a confessional.
So instead of incriminating myself and strike the dreadful chord of mea culpa, mea culpissima I am going to expose the lie of someone else.
Less repentant.
Far less charitable.
But oh so more fun!

This story involves a lady in black in a bakery.
She was not my sugar mama; still I was meant to be sugar coated. Evolve in a world of macarons, croissants, cookies and fruit tarts. Swirl in front and behind the counter, type on the cash register, take commands, make the schedules, scold and praise the employees and most of all - launch a marketing campaign to put the store on the map. Website, Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare were my chosen musketeers.
My head was swarming with ideas.

And this last Friday, after months of anticipation, discussion, planning and impatient awaiting - came the lie.
Not even a nice, assertive one. Nothing about it was sharp; dull words, weak arguments, elusive look.
Cowardice at its best.
Despite flourishing promises and hours of cajoling, I was given the ultimate low act: denial.
In the final hour I didn't get the job - which is tough but acceptable. But I was told that I had never even been considered for one - and that, that - is despicable.

So I didn't say anything. I didn't try to argue. I didn't fight it. Didn't say a thing. I let her talk, stumble on her words and repeat the same sentence; she was trying to convince herself more than me. It was almost painful to watch.
I took the high road. Because you have to choose your battles, and that one was definitely not worth it. My opponent was already defeated.

I moved on.
To the next lie, hoping it will be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, don't be scared!! Leave a comment...even if it's just to say 'Good job!!' or 'That posting sucks!'